Inspired by Lisa with her DH closet challenge and by Shannon more recently, and enabled by cleaning out my basement over the past few weeks, I have finally tackled my closet.
And wow, am I embarrassed.
First, the progress. I moved everything to the thrift store - as I'm calling my basement, since thrift stores are my favorite places to shop.
Then I took inventory, and wrote it all down - purging as I went.
Finally, I brought up to my closet about a week worth of clothes. What I brought up are my favorites, and I'll wear them until I get bored, then go "shopping".
The pic is my closet now. There's also a couple of tops and three pairs of shorts in my dresser drawers.
Now the confessions:
I thought I purged a lot. Three trash bags full. When I counted:
- 9 pairs shoes
- 3 winter coats
- 12 tops
- 1 pair jeans
For a measly 25 items. And I still have lots that I have complaints about. My next purge round will start there.
Here's what's left:
- 11 dresses (why do I have 11 dresses? I so rarely wear them). The Old Navy one is still returnable....
- 5 winter coats. 3 white, one brown, one cobalt. I think I have too many white.
- 16 jackets - some outerwear, some indoor, some gear
- 37 pants - about half and half jeans vs. trousers
- 74 tops - across all seasons, not including sweaters though
- 42 sweaters - across all seasons, including cardigans
- 20 skirts (also way more than I wear)
- 46 pairs of shoes (including boots and sandals, etc)
- 1 suit
- 3 professional-wear tops (with company logo)
For a total of 262 items. Not counted are underwear, pajamas, bags, belts, hats, scarves or jewelry. I'm sure that includes another 262 pieces, gaa.
No wonder it didn't fit in my 12 square foot closet (a single 6 foot closet rod). Clearly, I have WAY more than I need or want.
That also means that I purged less than 10% of my wardrobe. I don't know how big my ideal wardrobe is, but I hope that it's about half that size.
Of these, I recorded complaints on 59 of them as I cataloged them. I think I'd best root them out and purge them while I'm wallowing in the guilt of how many items I own by count!
So what do I do? Buy four more items from Susie, of course. Aak! I'm going to need some serious Shop Your Closet support. Maybe I can muster up the energy to make it 4 in, 59 out.....